Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day


About a month ago now, I gathered all my photo gear and drove over to a near by cemetery one Saturday evening. I walked through the rows of headstones taking pictures of the more interesting ones. Some died very young, while a few (still living) had already set up their eventual resting place. There were tall statues of soldiers and hundreds of mourning angels. One grave had a blank headstone that barely stood 10 inches tall. Other families had set up massive tombs, immensely decorated for the lack of the living.

Amongst all these monuments, one struck me. Bearing the name of the deceased and the dates of her life, it simply described her as, "Mother." Of all the things that this woman wanted to be known for, it was her motherhood. I think it struck me because so many women are trying to separate themselves from the title of "mom," when this was all she wanted to be remembered by.

In 2 Timothy, Paul wrote to Timothy, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well" (1:5).

Timothy's life was greatly influenced by his mother and the faith that he inherited from her. In the same way, my mom has been immensely influenced by her faith and the pattern of her life. I have been challenged and encouraged. I have been disciplined and loved. I have been blessed and supported.

So today, I honor my mom, Susan Grapengater, and thank her for all she has done in my life and her faithfulness to God through Jesus in shaping me to be the man He desires me to be.

If you haven't already, call your momma today.

No comments: